Thursday, March 22, 2012

You made me to sing, you made me to laugh

Mike Kelly explains the story behind his song "For Your Pleasure"

The inspiration behind the song "For Your Pleasure" is the book "Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. If you take a look at the first four chapters of the book, you'll see where most of the lyrics come from. 

Several years ago I started reading that book and ended up writing a song about it. I wanted the song to serve as a reminder to me because I tend to be kind of down on myself at times. It's actually a bit odd that I would have written a song that declares "You made me to sing, you made me to laugh" because my struggles with depression often left me feeling anything like singing or laughing. However, the truth is the truth regardless of how I feel. The song reminds me that I am "here for a reason" and have a unique purpose to fulfill in this life. My feelings do not define me. Rather it is my position as a believer in Christ that defines me. The song itself doesn't directly reference any specific scriptures, but I think it speaks to an important truth none the less. That believers are here for a purpose and that our lives bring pleasure to God when we walk in His ways and fulfill our purpose.


1 comment:

  1. One of favorite songs on Mike CD is "Reign in My Heart". I love the lines in the first verse that say "I don't need another song to tell me Just who You are; I don't need another word from heaven, It is written on my heart.

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete