Sunday, April 8, 2012

He Took My Place


A new song titled ¨He Took My Place¨was introduced for Easter. When I first saw the song list for Easter I did not recognize the song. I searched around the internet and found four songs with that title. I later received an mp3 of the song and realized that one of our band members had written this song. He sang it one night during practice and after hearing the recorded version of the song I really fell in love with the words and the way the song was laid out. I wondered what are some of the rules for writing a good song. 


On the Songwriters Guide website I found some interesting tips: 
  • The importance of keeping it simple; keep your song idea simple and focused. 
  • The use of images is a powerful and important tool when writing song lyrics. 
  • Lyrics opening, a strong opening that conveys the meaning of the song and provide a good first impression.
  • Lyrics prosody and meter; this the relation to poetry forms, dictate the amount of syllables to be found in each line and also the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables that make up the line.

From my own point of view I feel the most important aspect of writing Christian music is to bring glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Next is to touch the hearts and minds of those who will hear and sing the song while remaining true to the Bible.


The song writer of ¨He Took My Place¨is a wonderful singer and guitar player.  He is also becoming a song writer who takes the words of the Bible and crafts them into art that brings glory to our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment