Sunday, September 21, 2014

Songs are Written and Rewritten

Lord I Need You – Lord I Need Thee Every Hour



I had never heard the song “Lord I Need Thee Everyone Hour” until about three weeks ago. I was driving north on highway 29 near Danville, VA. I was channel surfing on the radio when I came across the song. The version of the song I heard was by Jamie O'Neal (video).  The lyrics for the original song are credited to Annie Sherwood Hawks and Robert Lowry and the melody is credited to Robert Lowry (Ref. www.hymnal.net).

Well recently we presented the song “Lord, I Need You” at our church. That is when I did some background research on the songs. The song “Lord I Need You” has been recorded by Matt Marr and others. It was written by Daniel Carson, Kristian Stanfill, Christy Nockels, Matt Maher, and Jesse Reeves (bass player). The story is Jesse Reeves came up with idea of using the refrain from the song “Lord I Need Thee Every Hour” as the central theme for this song. A video on the Worshiptogether.com website gives details on how the song was written and how to play it. (video)

No comments:

Post a Comment